Since the 12th century this site was occupied by a chapel dedicated to St Anthony the Abbot, and then in the 15th century by a bigger church. Historical chronicles tell that the church was established by Thomas Becket. The buildings that we see now were put together and extended in the second half of the 15th century when the tower apse that is incorporated into the town walls was built. The church’s interior is decorated in the baroque style and holds noteworthy frescos dating back to the early 15th century. In the presbytery there is also a terracotta Nativity sculpted by Buglioni’s workshop.
The existence of this church is mentioned for the first time in a will dated 1105. It was once the church of the Camaldolese monastery and the first place of worship in Anghiari. Re-built by the Tarlati family in the 14th century, in 1446 its interior was already asymmetric. A characteristic element is the bell tower, similar to that of the church of Sant’Agostino. Inside there is an interesting stone altar, as well as two fine wooden sculptures: the “Madonna and Child”, attributed to Tino da Camaino, and a late 13th century Crucifix.
The church was built in the 18th century following a design by Giovanni Battista Bellini. The locals literally call it “church of the moat” due to the former name of the street in front of it, today Via Trieste. The church is also called “the parish church” since, together with the adjacent house, it is where the priest of the Parish of Anghiari lives. Inside the church several 15th and 16th century artworks can be seen: the “Madonna of Mercy” by Della Robbia (its replica is installed in its original location in Piazza Mameli), the “Last Supper” and the “Washing of the Feet” by Sogliani, and the “Deposition” by Puligo.
The old baptistery dedicated to St John the Baptist is situated in the former Via del Borghetto, today Via Taglieschi, and it was built thanks to the financial contribution given by the mercenary soldier, Baldaccio Bruni. At that time Anghiari had no baptismal font, and the people had to use the ones in the churches of Micciano or Santa Maria alla Sovara outside the town. The entrance architrave bears the date 1442, the year in which the people of Anghiari were eventually allowed to build a baptistery. The front entrance door is a replica of the original one. Today this building is a private house.
This is one of the oldest late medieval buildings in the Tuscan Tiber Valley. The 7th-8th century church bears clear signs of the influence of the Byzantines from Ravenna. The church features a Greek cross plan, with its projecting arms corresponding to four apses. Each of the outer walls is decorated with three blind arches. Inside, the columns with ionic capitals are constructed from Roman materials taken and reused from different earlier buildings. The painting of the “Madonna and Child with Saints” by Domenico di Michelino is a noteworthy work from the 15th century. The building's original architecture can now be seen again thanks to a faithful restoration carried out in the late 20th century.
Historical chronicles from Anghiari talk about the convent of Saint Martins’ nuns which was built here in the 16th century using a design by Guillaume de Marcillat. The Renaissance cloister of the convent has now been turned into private dwellings. This single-aisled church is dedicated to St Mary Magdalene and is decorated with baroque stucco-work.
The chapel is part of a bigger complex built between 1777 and 1794, together with the main house and the theatre. Dedicated to St Thomas of Villanova, patron saint of the Corsi family, the church, which is divided into three spans, has a barrel-vaulted ceiling and a perimeter corridor with a corresponding women's gallery above. The chapel’s interior features 18th century ornaments of finest marble arranged in coloured schemes. After the local Council of Anghiari bought the chapel in 1925, its facade was modified following the design of the architect Remo Magrini, turning it into a War Memorial.