The coat of arms, set above one of the entrances, bears witness to the fact that the building was once the residence of the Angelieri family, while the name of the building comes from the sculpture representing the Florentine Marzocco (heraldic lion). Originally, the lion was installed in Piazza del Mercatale (now Piazza Baldaccio) where it remained until 1526, when it was moved onto this building’s facade by Ilioneo Taglieschi. In 1944 it fell down during the Second World War bombings. The sculpture that is shown today is a replica made in the late 20th century. This building houses the Museum which celebrates the Battle of Anghiari and the history of the town.
Palazzo Taglieschi is the result of a series of adaptations during the Renaissance in which several houses and tower houses were transformed in a single building. On the corner between Piazza Mameli and Via Garibaldi one of the former buildings can still be seen. The 16th century main entrance door has the Taglieschi coat of arms on its keystone. Palazzo Taglieschi is the symbol of the Borghetto due to its Renaissance architectural style. It also houses the Anghiari Arts Museum.
The recent discovery of a Roman wine-making cellar within this building bears witness to the presence of a Roman settlement on this hilltop. There are many coats of arms of the Vicari (the legal and religious governors of the town, sent from Florence) on the facade of the building, together with a large, late 16th century fresco. Palazzo Pretorio housed the town’s Court for many centuries and indeed the prison cells can still be seen on the ground floor. In the wide entrance hall on the ground floor there is a fresco on the left representing Justice. On the right hand side there is the Court chapel decorated with 15th century frescos and, on the lower floor, a Roman basin or tank.
The main house is part of a bigger complex – including the Chapel and the Theatre – that was built between 1777 and 1794. The keystone above the main entrance shows the coat of arms of the Corsi family. The building was bought by the local Council of Anghiari in 1900, and today houses the Library and the Historical Archives of the City of Anghiari, as well as other offices. The Library contains the original “Reception Room” and “Master Bedroom”, which are both decorated with mouldings and frescoes in grotesque and neoclassical styles.
The complex of buildings known as Palazzo Testi occupies most of the area enclosed within via Taglieschi, via della Torre and the section of the town walls that once also included Porta San Martino. It is an architectural complex that has developed over time, starting with the amalgamation of several late medieval buildings. Along Via della Torre there is a perfectly preserved 15th century building, while the vaulted main entrance hall features stone arch corbels from the 16th century.